Wednesday, July 27, 2011


 It is not without a heavy heart that I report that our project has come to an end.
And, simultaneously, I am also rejoicing in the aftermath of a nearly perfect show.

But , like so many endeavors Ryan and I have undertaken on this expedition, 
this show was not without its special quirks.

For instance, this week we have met with the folks at the Municipalidad at least 6 times and every time we have been assured that we would be able to get into our performance venue an hour before our final performance. Today, we arrived at 3 o'clock exactly only to find the doorman had gone marching (in one of the holiday parades) and had to be tracked down. It wasn't until around 3:45 we got into the space ---for the children this was the very first time. Immediately Ryan and I began rushing about setting props, checking costumes, hanging up our background, moving furniture backstage etc.etc.etc. (Mind you our show was set to begin at 4).

During this time there was a man trailing both Ryan and me like a frightened puppy as we raced around the stage to get everything set up. He said he worked at the Municipalidad (though he gave us no description of his job). He told us his event had been canceled earlier today due to the fact that the doorman was also missing during his presentation slot. I legitimately felt bad for him...until he started asking for "favors". He wanted all of our pictures immediately following the show. He wanted our personal information. He wanted to give his presentation after our play. He wanted our announcer to inform the audience of his plight.  All of these things I would have happily agreed to if it hadn't already been nearly 10 minutes past the starting time of our show.

It was about this time that Ryan and I were approached by a group of technicians and told that the sound system was not working. This automatically became a MAJOR problem considering that our show is primarily music and movement based. So, I dropped what I was doing (leaving Ryan to handle the "favor"-guy) to go backstage and try and figure out what we were going to do about this dilemma. This show could not happen without music. When I got backstage I began to frantically search out an explanation for why sound system (which was working like a dream mere hours beforehand) was now suddenly a deathtrap. After a few minutes I realized that someone (?) had plugged my computer into the same outlet as the sound system. I also observed that my battery light wasn't glowing so-- kind of like rocket science-- I figured out that the outlet was simply shot. So, I plugged the sound system into another outlet. Crisis averted.

By 4:25 we were finally ready to start! And then... the fish needed to go to the bathroom. So,5 more minutes. 

By 4:30 all of the animals were in places, the music was ready, and the 'favor' guy had finally taken his seat. It was go time.

Victor, our host and one of the masterminds behind this project, gave a very nice introduction and then Ryan and I took our respective positions (mine backstage with handling the music, and his out in the back of the house manning the video camera). I was a little saddened by the fact that I wasn't getting to watch the show, but in the first 10 seconds it became incredibly evident how needed I was behind the curtains.

Between sound cues I was rushing from one side of the stage to the other to either silence young tongues or push some oblivious rainforest creature onstage. And, every time I returned to my post, I found that Jefferson had turned the music down. Because he liked the colors on the sound dial. *alksjfdlaksdjflasfd*

However, aside from a few slow entrances (mainly the turtle) the show went as well as we had hoped--if not better. I still haven't watched the footage, but I already know it was a great show. The kids had fun. learned alot, and were incredibly proud of themselves. Even if the performance itself was a flop (which it wasn't) we succeeded in what we came to do.

After the show the needy "favor" guy gave a speech. Ryan and I were both a little less than thrilled at this man stealing the chilren's thunder. But, not to worry. They were all given candy and after he stopped talking we gave them the fresh fruit (that had been props) and took lots of pictures.

I couldn't stand the thought of saying goodbye to them tonight. So Ryan and I have already arranged to go see them one last time on Saturday before we head back to Cusco. 

And th-th-tha-that's all, folks.


1 comment: